CALL US TODAY!

(608) 223-1600

Preventing kitchen fires in your home

Home fires are devastating. The destruction fires cause and the mess they leave behind is overwhelming. The most common place where house fires start is in the kitchen. Cooking equipment can overheat quickly, and as a result fires can happen just as fast. Certi-Dry specializes in fire damage restoration in Madison and surrounding areas. Here is a list of steps you can take to help prevent kitchen fires in your home.

  • Do not leave cooking food unattended. If an appliance is on and is hot, it should not be left unattended. From stove tops, crock pots, to the oven, do not leave hot appliances on if you are not able to watch them. Even if you can’t take the heat, DO NOT LEAVE THE KITCHEN.
  • Keep your cooking equipment clean, serviced, and in good condition. Empty the crumb tray in the toaster, wipe out the microwave, clean the oven, and then keep them clean. Wipe up spills on the stovetop, and do not cook on a dirty stove. Build up on the stove can begin to heat and smoke, and can become flammable. It is much easier to play keep up than catch up when it comes to cleaning your kitchen appliances. If appliances are not functioning correctly, unplug them and get them repaired or replaced.
  • Do not leave electric appliances plugged when not in use. Mixers, coffee makers, toasters, and blenders continue to draw electricity when they are plugged in, even if they are not turned on. There is potential for fire any time there is an electric current present. As wiring gets old, it can get faulty and increases the risk of fires even more. It is better to be safe than sorry – unplug appliances when they are not in use.
  • Do not put metal in the microwave. Metal will begin to spark as it heats in the microwave, which can turn into a fire and seriously damage the microwave.
  • When lighting a burner on a gas stove, use extra caution. You should always follow the manufacturer’s instructions, and make sure that the area is clear from any flammable objects when lighting.
  • Do not overfill pots or pans with oil or grease. When grease or oil heats up, it pops. The splatter from it can cause a fire, not to mention burns. If a grease fire starts, DO NOT USE WATER! Water and grease do not mix. Use flour or baking soda and pour it over the flames. If you have a lid to the pot and the flames are not too big, you can cover them with the lid to put out the fire.
  • Keep flammable objects away from the stove. Dishtowels, hot pads, and paper towels can easily catch fire if they are left on or near the stove. If you have long sleeves on, or if you have long hair, keep them out of the way. Anything dangling near the stovetop is at risk of catching fire.

 

If you find yourself dealing with a house fire, whether from the kitchen or any other source, the team at Certi-Dry is ready to respond and restore your home. Be aware while you are cooking in the kitchen.  Pay attention and stay alert to help prevent kitchen fires in your own home. At the end of the day, only you can prevent kitchen fires.